A Favicon is that image that appears besides the title of a website in the browser tab. In is a great way to identify your site especially for users that tend to open a lot of tabs when browsing.
A Favicon should be 16x16 pixels. For this site, I have highlighted the Favicon in the picture above. A Favicon is a great tool to communicate the brand value of your website.
In order to add a Favicon to a website, you need to follow the following steps
- Select the image you want to use.
- Check the image's properties by right-clicking on it and checking it.
- If the image is 16x16 pixels, it is suitable for usage.
- Otherwise, use an image editor and shrink it.
- Once you have your standard image, go to favicon.cc to change the format to .ico
- Name your selected image to be favicon.ico
- Place the favicon.ico image in the root of your website
- Refresh your browser
So that is all there is to it. Its easy once you know how.